Aston, PA—Sister Evelyn Marie Hartnett, a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 65 years, died on April 6. She was 89.
All services will be held in Assisi House on April 12. A Christian wake service will be held at 9:30 a.m. followed by a viewing. The Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 a.m. followed by burial in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery.
Sister Evelyn was born in Bethlehem, Pa., where she was a member of Holy Infancy parish and a graduate of Bethlehem Catholic High School. She entered the congregation in 1949 and professed her first vows in 1951. Sister Evelyn earned a bachelor’s degree in English from Mount St. Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, Md. She ministered primarily in elementary education and in social service work.
Sister Evelyn served in the Diocese of Charleston as a teacher and principal at St. Joseph School in Anderson.
She ministered for 39 years in the Diocese of Wilmington, where she taught at St. Mary, St. John the Beloved, St. Paul and Corpus Christi schools. From 1989-2003, she worked with the Ministry of Caring, initially as a staff member of Mary, Mother of Hope House and later as an administrative assistant at House of Joseph II.
Sister Evelyn’s six years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Baltimore included teaching at St. Vincent School in Baltimore and St. Stephen School in Bradshaw. In the Archdiocese of Washington, where she served for five years, Sister Evelyn taught at St. Bernadette School in Silver Spring and Our Lady of Lourdes School in Bethesda.
Sister Evelyn began her 12 years of service in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia by volunteering at Assisi House, the congregation’s retirement residence in Aston, for five years. In 2009, she became a resident of Assisi House and served in prayer ministry there until her death.
Sister Evelyn is survived by her sister, Teresa Hartnett, her nieces and nephews, and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name may be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.
Submitted by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.