CHARLESTON—An allegation of sexual misconduct of a minor dating back more than 15 years has been made against Father Hayden Vaverek, the Diocese of Charleston announced in a press release March 10.
Per diocesan policy, Father Vaverek has placed on administrative leave and his priestly faculties withdrawn. Church officials have notified law enforcement authorities about the allegation and are cooperating with them fully, the press release stated.
Officials stated that the reported allegation indicates the alleged misconduct occurred while Father Vaverek was pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes in Greenwood. No members of that parish were involved in the reported allegation, according to the release.
Father Vaverek served at several parishes and schools around the state including: Greenville, Simpsonville, Anderson, Greenwood, McCormick, Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Moncks Corner, Bonneau, and Hilton Head Island.
Bishop Robert E. Guglielmone asked that people pray for all victims of abuse, for their families and for Father Vaverek.
The Diocese of Charleston encourages all victims and those who have knowledge of any sexual misconduct to contact civil authorities in their area. To receive help and guidance from the diocese, contact Sister Sandra Makowski at the Chancery in Charleston at (843) 853-2130, ext. 209.
UPDATED: March 12
- November 24 2014 Catholic Daughters
- November 24 2014 USC Concert Choir performs
- November 25 2014 - December 06 2014 Single, Single Again
- November 28 2014 - November 30 2014 Holy Spirit art show
- November 28 2014 - December 06 2014 Mepkin Creche Festival
- November 29 2014 BE oyster roast, auction
- December 01 2014 - December 30 2014 Secular Carmelites