CHARLESTON—An allegation of sexual misconduct of a minor dating back more than 15 years has been made against Father Hayden Vaverek, the Diocese of Charleston announced in a press release March 10.
Per diocesan policy, Father Vaverek has placed on administrative leave and his priestly faculties withdrawn. Church officials have notified law enforcement authorities about the allegation and are cooperating with them fully, the press release stated.
Officials stated that the reported allegation indicates the alleged misconduct occurred while Father Vaverek was pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes in Greenwood. No members of that parish were involved in the reported allegation, according to the release.
Father Vaverek served at several parishes and schools around the state including: Greenville, Simpsonville, Anderson, Greenwood, McCormick, Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Moncks Corner, Bonneau, and Hilton Head Island.
Bishop Robert E. Guglielmone asked that people pray for all victims of abuse, for their families and for Father Vaverek.
The Diocese of Charleston encourages all victims and those who have knowledge of any sexual misconduct to contact civil authorities in their area. To receive help and guidance from the diocese, contact Sister Sandra Makowski at the Chancery in Charleston at (843) 853-2130, ext. 209.
UPDATED: March 12
- December 20 2014 Pro-life rosary
- January 09 2015 - January 10 2015 SC march and rally for life
- January 16 2015 - January 16 2015 | 5:00:00 PM National Religious Freedom Day
- January 22 2015 National March for Life
- January 23 2015 St. Joseph School gala
- January 23 2015 St. Joseph gala date change
- January 28 2015 Catholic Days at the Capital