CHARLESTON—An allegation of sexual misconduct of a minor dating back more than 15 years has been made against Father Hayden Vaverek, the Diocese of Charleston announced in a press release March 10.
Per diocesan policy, Father Vaverek has placed on administrative leave and his priestly faculties withdrawn. Church officials have notified law enforcement authorities about the allegation and are cooperating with them fully, the press release stated.
Officials stated that the reported allegation indicates the alleged misconduct occurred while Father Vaverek was pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes in Greenwood. No members of that parish were involved in the reported allegation, according to the release.
Father Vaverek served at several parishes and schools around the state including: Greenville, Simpsonville, Anderson, Greenwood, McCormick, Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Moncks Corner, Bonneau, and Hilton Head Island.
Bishop Robert E. Guglielmone asked that people pray for all victims of abuse, for their families and for Father Vaverek.
The Diocese of Charleston encourages all victims and those who have knowledge of any sexual misconduct to contact civil authorities in their area. To receive help and guidance from the diocese, contact Sister Sandra Makowski at the Chancery in Charleston at (843) 853-2130, ext. 209.
UPDATED: March 12
- May 22 2013 | 2:30:00 PM Mass for Marines
- May 24 2013 Golf Tournament
- May 25 2013 | 11:00:00 AM Honoring Mary
- May 27 2013 | 8:00:00 AM Run For Heros
- May 31 2013 Saints Soccer Camp
- June 01 2013 Memorial Gold Tournament
- June 08 2013 | 7:00:00 AM Breakfast Fundraiser
- June 14 2013 - June 16 2013 Exploring Religious Life
- July 11 2013 - July 17 2013 Project Good Help Summer Service Program