For the past five years the people of Thimmaraopet, India, have needed safe drinking water. The small, rural village is home to an estimated 500 families. It is a faith-filled and strong Catholic community, said Father T. Joseph Pradeep Reddy, pastor of St. Peter’s Chair Catholic Church in Thimmaraopet.
The village built a water tower about 50 years ago, but as the population grew it did not have sufficient capacity to meet daily needs for safe drinking water. A new water tower project was introduced, but a lack of funds brought the project to a halt.
The pleas for help reached Father J.P. Narichetti, who is serving at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church on Folly Beach until next month. Coordinating with the Office of the Propagation of the Faith, Father Narichetti was invited to speak to parishioners of St. Michael Church in Garden City and St. Benedict Church in Mount Pleasant.
Thanks to the generosity of the people of these parishes, sufficient funds were received to allow the repairs of the water tower and the installation of a new electric pump to send water from the well to the water tower. The village was also able to repair their distribution water lines and install new taps where needed.
“Once again the people of South Carolina came through with a true mission spirit and have significantly improved the lives of the villagers,” said Msgr. Edward D. Lofton, director of the Propagation of the Faith for the Diocese of Charleston.
- December 14 2013 Christmas dinner dance
- December 14 2013 - December 15 2013 ‘The Little Match Girl ‘ ballet
- December 14 2013 Diocese of Charleston Native American Catholics' H...
- December 14 2013 Scott Hahn at St. Mary
- December 15 2013 - December 23 2013 Misa de Gallo
- December 19 2013 Catholic Time Machine
- January 21 2014 - January 23 2014 St. Michael's Right to Life Bus Trip to Washington...
- January 26 2014 LARCUM event
- January 31 2014 Matthew Kelly at BEHS