Redemptorist Father John Joseph Salamon dies
TIMONIUM, MD.—Redemptorist Father John Joseph Salamon, died January 22, 2013 at Saint John Neumann Residence at Stella Maris.
The Mass of Christian Burial was held Jan. 26 at Stella Maris followed by interment at Sacred Heart of Jesus Cemetery in Baltimore.
Father Salamon was born on July 8, 1919, in Manhattan, New York, professed his first vows as a Redemptorist on Aug. 2, 1940, ordained on June 17, 1945, and died on January 22, 2013.
He attended High School at St. Mary’s College, the Redemptorist Preparatory Seminary, in North East, Penn. When he finished his novitiate year in Ilchester, Md., he went on to complete his theological studies at Mount St. Alphonsus, the Major Seminary in Esopus, N.Y., where he was ordained.
From 1946 to 1950 he served in St. Wenceslaus parish in Baltimore. Then he returned to the Redemptorist Preparatory Seminary as a professor where he taught math courses until 1957. Next he served in parish work again in Baltimore, but this time at the Redemptorist parish of St. James until 1961.
Father Salamon continued his priestly ministry for a brief period in the Vice- Province of San Juan at Holy Cross parish in Christiansted, St. Croix in the Virgin Islands. Then in 1966 he was transferred to the Vice-Province of Richmond where he served faithfully for more than thirty years.
From 1966 to 1969 he was stationed at Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish in Tampa, Fla. For the next seven years he ministered in Orangeburg, S.C., where he took charge of two of the out-missions from that center. Then he returned to Tampa to continue parish ministry for four more years at OLPH.
In 1980 Father Salamon was stationed with the Redemptorist community at Saint Alphonsus Villa in New Smyrna Beach, FL until 1999 when he was transferred back to the Baltimore Province and stationed at the St. John Neumann Residence in Saratoga Springs, NY.
On July 1, 2009 Father Salamon was among the first Redemptorists to take up residence in the newly established St. John Neumann Residence at Stella Maris in Timonium, Maryland.
“Here in the south,” says current Vice-Provincial of Richmond, Father Jerome Chavarria, “one of the vital apostolates performed by the confreres stationed at the Villa is called “swing” man. Although these confreres are semi-retired, they cover the weekend liturgies at remote parishes so that other clergy can have some vacation time. Father Salamon was a generous “swing” man when he came to New Smyrna. And while some confreres would kid him about collecting new shoes, socks, and watches to give away,” continues Father Jerome, “he was also a gatherer of souls as well. I followed him to several assignments and the people always spoke highly of his service and his joy.”