Missionary Oblate Father John Leddy dies at 91
BELLEVILLE, Ill.—Father John J. Leddy, OMI, died Dec. 1 at the Dammert Center after a lengthy illness. He was 91.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated Dec. 11. He was interred at the Oblate cemetery at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Residence and Infirmary.
Father Leddy was born June 6, 1919, in Detroit, Mich., the son of the late Edward F. and Pearl A. Leddy.
He entered the Oblate novitiate in Tewksbury, Mass., in 1942, and made first vows in 1943. He was educated at Holy Angels in Buffalo, N.Y., and at the House of Philosophy in Newburgh, N.Y. He was ordained a priest in 1951. Father Leddy obtained master’s degrees in library science and arts therapy.
His first assignment was teaching at Bishop Fallon High School in Buffalo, N.Y., from 1951-1964. For the next 10 years, he taught at Bishop Neumann High School in Buffalo and at Oblate College in Washington, D.C.
From 1974 until the late 1980s, Father Leddy was pastor at several parishes, including St. Anne Church in Sumter, S.C. During his time in Sumter he was elected to serve on the Priests’ Senate.
He was pastor at St. Catherine’s in Copperhill, Tenn.; St. Mary’s in Washington, Ga.; and St. Mary’s in Athens, Tenn.
His last assignment was spiritual director to the National Shrine in Washington, D.C.
In 2003, he retired and moved to Belleville, Ill.
Father Leddy is survived by three sisters, Marilyn Leddy, Terese Sablack and Mary Margaret Scott; and two brothers, James and William. In addition to his parents, he was predeceased by three brothers: Raymond, Robert and Thomas.
Memorial donations may be made to the Oblate Infirmary Fund, 486 Chandler Street, Tewksbury, MA 01876.