Ursuline Sisters of Louisville honor South Carolina friends, donors
COLUMBIA — The Ursuline Sisters of Louisville, Ky., gathered with friends and donors at Cardinal Newman School for brunch Oct. 10.
The sisters used this opportunity to show appreciation for the donors. Through their generous funding and ongoing relationship with the sisters, the donors have enabled the sisters to continue their ministries and ensure the mission. Their contributions have supported a recent Motherhouse renovation as well as helped retired sisters and allowed ill and infirm sisters to receive quality care at Marian Home, the licensed nursing facility on campus.
“It was a great opportunity to gather with our friends and honor our long history with so many South Carolina families,” Development Director Jennifer Hartlage said.
The Ursuline Sisters are located in Louisville but have a strong connection to South Carolina. In 1858, the Ursulines of South Carolina were founded in Columbia. That same year the German Ursulines arrived in Louisville and became the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville. By 1933, aging membership among the South Carolina order required that the sisters merge with another convent. In 1938, the South Carolina Ursulines and the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville merged.
The Ursuline Sisters of Louisville are a congregation of Roman Catholic women religious with a mission to teach Christian living in order to assist women, men and children to live more fully and develop a personal relationship with God. Ursuline Sisters of Louisville are in ministry nationwide and in South America, and serve as teachers, healthcare workers, administrators, chaplains and social service workers. More information is available on their Web site, www.ursulineslou.org.